Monday, September 27, 2010

The Problem with Teaching

So I taught class again last Saturday.  I had planned on going over a variety of defenses to the regular arm bar from the mount.  I had it all mapped out into 4 stages of reaction and what could be done at each stage.  When I got to class, almost no one was there.  Apparently a big seminar and tournament were happening at the same time.  So once class started, I had only 5 students.  One of them wanted to learn any kind of leg lock.  So at the last minute I decided I would teach a really basic straight ankle lock along with some defenses to it.  This goes against my normal philosophy of teaching an offense with its defense.  It was a request, and such a small class so I did it.  Also, someone was there for the very first time.  I don't think straight ankle locks are really a great first ever class in Jiu-Jitsu, but I also knew the other 4 would not want to do standing up in base drills because they were one and two stripe blue belts.  Tough to balance such a class so that everyone gets something out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I've heard a few people say they don't like teaching attack and defence at the same time, but I really enjoy those classes. Main thing I like about it is that it means when you get to trying it with a little more resistance, you can both work what you just learned in class, rather than one person trying something while the other waits their turn.

    I presume the downside would be that it is difficult to practice an attack you've just learned against somebody who is not only expecting it, but knows how to defend it too?

    Of course, I'm only a blue belt, so might well change that opinion if I ever find myself teaching a class in the future.

    ReplyDelete